So I scored this darling little table before I moved here to the new place, and I knew it had potential, but I didn’t like it in its current state. I just felt like it was a little too…brown. It also had a lot of wear and tear on the top surfaces. It is at least 50 years old, so what do you expect?
But I went ahead and put it in my living room, scratches and all, until I had the energy to deal with it.
So on a whim the other day, I sanded it (with a little help from my friend). Now I had no choice; I had to follow through with the up-cycle.
You can tell in this pic below that someone did not use a coaster. Tsk tsk. I only sanded the very top because I wanted to leave the rest in its original state. For one, it’s just easier that way, and two, I like the bi-color look.
I didn’t want to paint it, though, because I wanted the wood-grain to show through. So I put some paint in the cup (Sherwin Williams’ Green River), and diluted it about 1:1 with water.
It dries really quickly, so once it was completely dry, I put the polyurethane on it. I didn’t want a big, thick, gloss on it, though, so I diluted the polyurethane 1:1 with mineral spirits. Again, I just wiped it off the sides.
Then I let it dry, and it took FOREVER because I was so excited about it.
I took a bazillion pictures of it because it’s kind of in a weird position in the living room, so I wanted you to see it from every.single.vantage.point.
I was uncertain if it matched at first, but it’s growing on me more and more.
When Little Bit gets out of his destructive phase, I’ll put a pretty, little lamp on there, but until then, I’ll just keep my granny-doilies on there (only to pick them up twenty times a day).