So I was on Facebook today bemoaning the fact that our new house will be barren for a while before we are able to start filling it with furniture. My brother-in-law posted this in response:
Ahaha! It’s definitely a first world problem. Poor me, right?
I did make my first furniture purchase tonight – a kitchen table and chairs from a girl selling on Craig’s List (my pet peeve is when people say, “I bought it from Craig’s List,” – Craig’s list is not a store). 75 bucks! It’s a super cute set, too.
My success on this purchase encouraged me in my massive frugality superpowers. Like many of us SAHMs, I can find the deals. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
I almost bought this nightstand that was all cute and painted and retro but updated, and then I was like, “Whatever, I can totally do that myself for next to nothing.” Win!
Anyway, I’ll be stalking Craig’s List and shopping for sales and garage saling for a while. And by “a while”, I mean like a long time. I’m not planning on going on a shopping spree any time soon, but that’s part of the fun of it – searching for the bargain, finding the best fit for the space, waiting for something with personality.
I still need:
- two new sofas (we’ll wait on one until the kids stop wiping their snot on it before replacing this one)
- arm chairs
- a double or queen size bed
- three twin beds
- two or three night stands for the boys
- two night stands for us
- a sofa table (still want to make one)
- a coffee table (still want to make one)
- a piano (Samuel will start lessons soon – probably won’t try to make that)
- a TV stand (I still can’t bring myself to put it over the fireplace mantel – I’ve never had a fireplace mantel, and it’s too special to defile with a TV. Ask me in 6 months where it is, though.)
- a computer desk
- rugs (Tuesday Morning has great deals on these)
- fire escape ladders (it’s a two-story)
- lawnmower and weed eater
- baby gates for staircase
- almost all new faucets (to replace the gaudy gold ones)
- all new door handles (to replace the gaudy gold ones)
- electric downdraft cooktop (a little bummed I can’t cook on gas anymore, but then I can just remind myself that everything else is pretty awesome)
- curtains/window treatments (had to research how to treat tall windows – never lived in a two-story)
- mudroom armoire by front door (we’ll have white carpet, unfortunately)
- put hardwood in the downstairs living areas and dining room
- paint living room (doing this before we move in because of the high ceilings)
- paint master bedroom
- tile master bathroom
- tile downstairs bathroom
- molding for stairwell
- safe room under stairs (necessity in tornado alley)
- paint office
- paint boys' bathroom
- paint boys' bedroom
- replace shower doors (hideous gold trim)
- wall treatment for living room
So if you were thinking about moving, do those lists dissuade you at all? Haha. I’m still super excited. I can’t wait to close on both houses. I really want to start my project mode madness.