So basically I decided to get really busy. If I would have read that a year ago, I'd shutter, but I really do think it's a good thing this time because each thing has purpose within the values of our family.
- I started BSF and take the two younger boys who do their own lessons while they're there (not just being babysat). This is meeting a great need within me, too, as I've been so hungry for God's word lately. (value: spirituality)
- I started running again (after taking a break for both my injury and my surgery), both outdoors and at the gym. I love that it shows my kids my value for fitness, and when I go to the gym they get good social and play time. (value: fitness)
- I started helping out with a ministry at my church, and it's cool because I get to take Samuel with me so that he can go to his class. I get to bring him along with me to the last part of the meeting that I help out with, and it's great that he gets to see me serving. I also like our car drives together. I miss him since he started school. (value: service)
- Speaking of, I started scheduling a weekly school lunch date with my kindergartner. This was something that I started out school saying that I would do all the time, and I think I did it ONCE last semester. It really means a lot to Samuel, and now that I see that, I feel so terrible for neglecting it last fall. (value: family togetherness)
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays while my almost 4 year old is in school, I don't think of it as "my" time anymore because my 1 year old is really missing out when I do. Sure, I try to get a few things done while he's napping, but I'm also playing with him a lot more and taking him to do things like story time at the library. It sounds so simple, but it's easy to forget those little things with the third one. (value: family togetherness and education)
- Just this past week we implemented a weekly family night. Levi was the first one that got the privilege of choosing everything (dinner, dessert, activity). I don't know why we didn't do that a long time ago. It was so much fun. We really value the relationships within our little family, and no matter how busy we are, we want to foster connectedness within the five of us. (value: family togetherness)
- Both of the older boys are starting soccer soon. I have no idea how that's going to work with practice once a week and games on Saturdays, and to be honest, this might be a mistake. Levi might love it, but I don't think Samuel is a team sport guy. I wish I would have put him in swimming instead. (value: fitness)
- I'm leading the kindergarten's group for this year's Multicultural Day. I really didn't know what a big commitment it was when I signed up for it, but I'm all in now. I'm not good at getting other people to help, so I'm pretty sure I'll be a stressed out mess. It's nice to have a creative outlet, but honestly I probably could do without this on my list. (value: creativity, although I don't really have the time for another one)
So looky there...it seems as though I've swung out of balance in the other direction. That's pretty much how I roll - all or nothing...yet again.