We've been in the hotel a week now, and I've made a few observations about some things that I'll share.
1. Most hotel rooms have been smoked in...frequently. 9 out of 10 hotel rooms that we've stayed in over the years I've asked them to move our reservation to a different room because I can smell that it's been smoked in. They were tricky with this room that we're in now, though. You can't smell it right away if the A/C is down to 65 degrees. So when I put it back up to a reasonable temperature, it smelled like an ashtray. We're supposed to get a new room on Sunday, but I'm skeptical about moving all of our stuff for fear that the next room will start smelling like an ashtray, too, after the A/C is down. Bleh! The smell makes me nauseous.
2. One doesn't tend to make the wisest decisions with money and nutrition when a food allowance is given to them. We've struggled to eat healthfully while we're eating out so much. But that got me to thinking about the welfare system and such. I remember once I was at Whole Foods checking out, and the lady in front of my was using a Lone Star card for her purchase. At first I thought, 'Well, that's pretty cool that she gets to eat good, wholesome food because of her Lone Star card.' Then I took a peak at the groceries that were going into her bags, and it was a bunch of candy and chocolate.
3. I don't know how I ever had the patience to sit through commercials before we got a DVR. It's torture! I've watched very little television since we've been here because of that.
4. Skipping maid service for even one day in a hotel room with kids is a BAD idea. I don't care if the maid has to wake the kids up from their naps next time. This room is getting de-funked.
5. I do, in fact, have the most comfortable bed in the world at home. I know we bought it when we were doing our debt frenzy last fall, but I don't care. It's paid off now, and I love it.
6. There's pretty much nothing cuter in the world than when my boys run excitedly down the long hallway to get to the car. Levi will also inevitably fall at least once each time and say, "Tum on, Mommy!"
7. Non-filtered water does, indeed, taste and smell like pool water.
8. Having three washing machines makes doing laundry MUCH more bearable since it's SOOOO much quicker.
9. Getting take-out at a so-so restaurant is much better than having a really good meal with my kids running all over the nice restaurant. We've only attempted it once at Gloria's in the Highlands, and we were in and out of there in 30 minutes. Thankfully, the waiter took us seriously when we said we wanted to be turned and burned. AND we went before the dinner rush at like 4:30.
10. Our room has granite countertops, and now I have to have them in my house (eventually, of course, not right away). They hide everything! My awful white, formica countertops show every little crumb on them. And I guess that means I have to keep them pretty clean and sanitary, but still.
That's all I got for now. I can't complain at all, though. We're not going crazy just yet, and it's pretty cozy here. Can't wait to see my new house, though!